Well, now it's time to make one for me!
As the title of this post suggests, I'm going for a an evergreen tree inspired look, lots of greens, a few browns, and a rainy grey Portland sky background.
The one thing I felt like I 'messed up' on with the first quilt was the top and bottom rows, I'd intended to make the diamond shape stand out against the background, so there should have been black triangles alternating with the colored ones. Live and learn though - this time I decided that I'd do the top and bottom rows first just to make sure I got them right.
Triangles are a bit tricky to sew, oh and LORDY they are tricky to cut out. I have a 60 degree line on my ruler, but it wasn't easy for me to get it to line up with the fabric and not wobble the ruler as I cut the fabric. But I got all the pieces cut out more or less accurately I think.
This is all I've got done so far. Lacking a design wall I just started laying out all the fabrics on my floor. I got about three rows down before I realized I had far too many light fabrics cut out. I'd originally cut out about half the triangles from medium fabric, a quarter from dark and a quarter from light. But the more I look at the trees outside the more I like the contrast of the dark trees against the light sky. So I'm going to cut out a few more dark fabrics to throw into the mix. I'll keep the lights, because I want there to be visual interest. But one of the things I don't like about this quilt.....
is that there are too many light lights. So I'm going to try to fix this while I can.
This Evergreen quilt is going to be twin sized - 72x90, rather than my usual 45x60, so I anticipate that it's going to take quite a bit longer too. There may or may not be too many updates as I go, but rest assured, I'll keep plugging away at it.