Monday, October 16, 2017

Spoooooooky quilt

I made a Halloween quilt!

I've wanted to make a Halloween quilt for a while and have been collecting fabrics bit by bit over the past couple of years.  I had a few different ideas, but my quilting mo-jo has been slow to return after grad school so I finally picked a super easy pattern from Pinterest and put the top together pretty quickly.  But I didn't get it done quite in time for Halloween last year, so I stashed the top away and only pulled it out again this month. 

I used meander quilting... which is still a bit of a learning experience for me.  There are places where I crossed over the line of stitching, and other parts where the bobbin thread ran out so it's a bit clunky where I tried to get it started again.  Nothing you'd see from the back of a prancing pony... but stuff that bugs me a little bit. 



The backing is pieced from leftover fabric. 



What I like about it:  
 - It's a quilt!  It's done!

 - It's a Halloween quilt!  It's fun!

 - I'm getting my quilting mo-jo back!

What I want to do differently next time:
- Make sure I love the fabrics.  I bought a lot of fat quarters just because they were Halloween themed... and I relied heavily on sale fabrics.  There are two fabrics that I really don't like, but it's a bit late to change them up now that the quilt is done. 

 - keep practicing meander quilting, or find patterns that work better with straight line quilting.  Meander quilting is HARD on my little machine.  I have a walking foot but actually ended up running over my finger (and yes, OUCH - it hurt as much as you think it would) because I was having to push and pull the fabric more than I would have liked.



I really do feel like I'm getting my quilting inspiration back... I have a ton of ideas for new quilts.  Unfortunately I also have a ton of unfinished projects.  So I think I need to alternate back and forth between finishing up old projects and starting new ones.  More quilts to come!


No comments: