Monday, October 30, 2017

Harry Potter Party

I decided to indulge my inner nerd and geek out with a Harry Potter halloween party.  I really got into doing all of the little crafts.  As with all things I find on Pinterest - it's one thing to see the idea, actually creating it is another thing entirely.  There were a lot of learning experiences involved.

Wands

I used the good old chopsticks and glue-gun method for these.  I didn't try too hard to replicate any specific wands, although I did take inspiration from them.  I used some acrylic paint and then went over with some metallic water colors for extra shine.  This was a fun project, but it took a couple of days because I had to wait for each layer to dry.



Hogwarts Letters

The letters were easy enough to address, and I melted some candle wax with a red crayon for the seal on the back.  The tricky part was using invisible thread to attach them to the fireplace.  Invisible thread is... not surprisingly... pretty difficult to see. 


Honeydukes Sweetshop

OK - technically these aren't all from Honeyduke's in the book but it was fun to have some themed candy.  The snitches were a little tricky, it was hard to get the sparkle paper to stick to the foil... I had to use a combo of glue and tape (don't look too closely). ;)


Headmaster's Office

Saved up a few tiny liquor bottles to catch memories.  The pensive is just a plastic bowl that I painted with silver paint and glitter.  On the left there's an old mood ring that I painted to look like the Gaunt ring.


Society for the Promotion of Elfish Workers

S.P.E.W was on of my favorite parts of the book... and I already had the hats/socks, so this was pretty easy to put together.




House Points


This was another fun easy thing to do to add to the atmosphere.


There were a few other crafts that I didn't get pictures of but overall it was fun to really get into trying to create a Hogwarts feel for the party.




No comments: