Monday, June 11, 2012

Soy Silk Scarf

Here is my second woven project, a soy-silk scarf. 



Once again I used a yarn that was too thin for my heddle, and once again my edges are a bit loose and wonky.  But I'm definitely getting the hang of weaving.

I'm often frustrated by the quality of the things I make, and tend to take a long time to learn anything.  It has occurred to me more than once that I might actually benefit from actually taking a CLASS (or 12) to learn more about all the different crafts I do.  I am normally a complete nerd, and learn really well in a formal class setting.  But for some reason when it comes to my crafts I feel a powerful need to just 'figure it out' myself.  Even if figuring it out involves a huge waste of materials and being continually dissatisfied with the results.  But really, I know I would actually learn a few things if I took some classes

So when I was in the yarn shop the other day (chatting with the sales lady about my new adventures in weaving)  and I found out that they would be offering a 'learn to weave' class, I finally decided to bite the bullet and sign up.

I'm looking forward to seeing what tips and techniques I learn.  Hopefully this will mean that my future weaving projects will be far more impressive!



5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

When I was in my 20s I wanted a loom, mostly to make rag rugs, very popular at that time. I'm not sure I would have the patience for it now so I'll enjoy it through watching you. The class will probably give you some tips that would take awhile to learn on your own and definitely worth the time.
You are comparing your weaving to someone else's and should embrace your own as 'original'.

Rebel said...

Thanks! I kinda want to make a rug too, but I think my loom might be too narrow for a good rug. Of course, it's not like I don't know how to sew smaller pieces of fabric together. ;)

Sarah Nopp said...

Aren't you in the Portland area? There is an AMAZING weaving guild there. Maybe it is too big for a lot of beginners, but there is a really amazing group of weavers there. The Parks Department also offers weaving classes, if I remember correctly.

Rebel said...

Thanks Sarah, I am in the Portland area - and I've seen the weavers at the annual 'Gathering of the Guilds' show at the convention center. That's kind of what sparked my interest. But between work, class, and all my other hobbies, I"m not sure I'm up for joining a guild. I'll have to look into it though, and maybe drop in for at least one meeting.

Sarah Nopp said...

I have heard it can be a bit intimidating and not as warm and friendly as you could imagine at a fibers guild. But they do meet in the evening and they are an amazing group!