Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New Toy!

As if I didn't have enough projects in the works already, I bought myself a new toy - an Ashford 16" Rigid Heddle Loom.

It comes unfinished and un-assembled, so I get a bonus project of getting to pick out a stain, and put it all together.  I say this with all sincerity... I love putting stuff together!

First-up, staining with a "Colonial Maple" color.  It was a bit cold outside, so I skipped the second coat.  But considering it will only be used inside, I think that's sufficient.


Next, assembly.  Easy-peasy.


But then comes the tough part... actually 'warping' the loom - putting the yarn through all the little slots on the reed.

It took about two hours to warp the loom.  I actually gave up before I'd threaded each slot.  I figured it was wide enough for a first scarf.

Once I had warped the loom I was off and weaving.  The actual mechanics are pretty straight forward, and I watched a you-tube video to get a couple hints.  It's still very much a first project... the sides are sloppy and I've discovered that the reed I'm using is too big for the weight of yarn I chose so it's going to be a bit loosely woven when all is said and done.  But that won't necessarily be a bad thing... we'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Kaye said...

Ha ha! Very nice! And so it begins....!

Michael5000 said...

That's actually a very handsome machine.

I have one of those little looms you use to make potholders. By "you," I mean "small children." But I find it very satisfying. Let me know if you need potholders.